How to Increase Website’s Visibility over Search Engine Result page
This part of blog is focusing on increasing Site’s visibility on search engines, industry trade publications, trade associations, portals and directories. As a result, site traffic will increase along with leads and conversions. In search engine marketing the following issues are considered:
Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the art of maximizing website ranking on search engines such as Google and directories such as Yahoo! The maximization process is conducted on a carefully selected list of key words and phrases that prospects and customers are most likely to use to look up.
Why ranking falls:
If the rules change, sites may be dropped from SE’s. If Algorithms change, sites may be lowered in the rankings. If competing to SEO firms are successful in finding a new trick just within the rules, site rankings may fall. If new competing client sites enter the market, site rankings may drop. If the Client site uploads altered pages or changes server technology, site rankings may drop.
Keep in mind that excessive repeating of META keywords could be considered as spamming by some search engines and site might get penalized with a lower ranking for that practice.
Why content is important:
Most of the major search engines index every word of your page and compare them to your title META description and META keywords. In fact some engines probably don’t use the META keywords anymore, so that is why content is becoming even more important.
Search Engine Optimization Tips:
Things are changing, and that what a trick is allowed today will be blacklisted tomorrow. It is better to focus on “honest page” Search Engine Optimization than wasting time on something that will need to be abandoned soon.
- Knowing the keywords and criterion used by competitors is the most important first step.
- Keywords should be relevant, applicable, and clearly associated with page body content.
- Keywords should be used as allowed and accepted by the search engines (placement, color, etc.)
- Keywords should not be utilized too many times on a page (frequency, density, distribution, etc.)
- Redirection technology (if used) should facilitate and improve the user experience. But understand that this is almost always considered a trick and is frequently a cause for removal from an index.
- Redirection technology (if used) should always display a page where the body content contains the appropriate keywords (no bait and switch).
- Redirection technology (if used) may not alter the URL (redirect), affect the browser BACK button (cause a loop), or display page information that is not the property of the site owner or allowed by agreement without sound technical justification (i.e., language redirects).
- Pages should not be submitted to the search engines too frequently
- Another important factor to consider is the use of misspelled words: Misspelled words could boost traffic because many people are likely to misspell keywords in a search.
Search engine optimization is carried out by various optimization tasks:
1) Key Phrases optimization: It is the most important step, since keywords are used throughout the optimization process. Few recommendations are:
- Think specific keyword phrases not keywords, due to extreme amount of competition for general terms and you have to be different from your competitors.
- Try to think like your target audience.
2) Title tag optimization: It is displayed on the search result page of search engine. Few recommendations are:
- Limit title tag to 50-80 characters.
- Use 1-2 most important keywords in title tag but not just list the keywords.
3) Meta tag optimization: Meta description and Meta tags are generally placed between & tags. Few recommendations are:
- Keyword Meta should not exceed 1024 characters including spaces.
- Description Meta should not exceed 250 characters including spaces.
- In Meta description, include 3-4 most important keyword phrases. Try to have most important keywords appear at the beginning of description.
- In Meta keywords, use those keywords phrases which are used in copy page, title tag, meta description & other tags but do not forget plurals.
- If you know a common misspelling of a popular keyword relevant to your content, include it in Meta keyword.
- Watch out a word could not be repeated more than 5 times.
4) Page copy optimization: By ‘copy’ i mean the actual text that a visitor to site would read. Few recommendations are:
- For best results it is recommend that each page submitted has at least 200 words of copy on it.
- This text should include most important keyword phrases, but should remain logical & readable.
- Be sure to use those phrases that have used in other tags (i.e. metas, alt, headings, title, etc.) during the optimization process.
5) Images “alt” attribute optimization: It contains the description of the image. Few recommendations are:
- Never use more than a brief sentence or two to describe an image.
- Be sure to use the keyword phrases that are also used in the copy of your page, title tag, Meta description, and other tags.
- Do not try to cram a bunch of keywords into the “alt” attribute. It is recommended using no more than 2-3 per image.
- Describe the image – do not just list keywords.
6) Incoming and outgoing link optimization
7) Improvement of Quality, quantity, clarity and value of content.
One of the most important factors to achieve a high ranking in the search engines is link popularity. It’s not only the number of links to your web site that is important it’s also the quality of the links that are important. A link at Dmoz or Yahoo is usually given much more weight than a link from a personal web site.
Link Maximization is the art of persuading popular sites in your industry to link to your website. In other words, it is equivalent to performing Public Relations (PR) on website. Customers must be able to find site and access it easily. Positioning link well is key to attracting customers. The simplest way to do this is to register link at all the major search engines, plus any specialty search engines that might be applicable to site. There are several services that will register your site with multiple search engines at once. Also, very important are site’s meta-tags, the code that enable search engines to find them. Meta tags contain the key words that users may use to search for site.
Other link propagation methods
While search engines are an important way for customers to find a web site, a company cannot rely on them alone. Search engines account for only 6.86% of web site referrals. On the other hand, Internet links, such as banner ads, sponsorships, and affiliates accounted for 46.13% of referrals. Direct navigation and bookmarks together accounted for the largest percentage of referrals with 47.01%, showing that many Internet users already know where they want to go when they sign online.
Increasing the number of links to site does not have to expensive. Swapping links (inviting other sites to link to yours in return for linking to their site) can be very effective. Joining a web ring is a more formal way of swapping links. In it a group of related sites allow users to click from one to another. A “ringmaster” controls which sites are included in the ring. Another option is self-promotion. Site owners can self-promote by posting messages at forums, message boards, and email lists with a tasteful signature file that links to their site. Nor does link propagation have to be high-tech. E-businesses can print their URL on bags, receipts, stationery, business cards, and anything else they can possibly think of. This type of offline advertising is surely an important factor for the 47% of direct navigation referrals.
Pay-per-click (PPC) programs allow to list site at the top of the search engine results. Website can be listed by bidding on selected groups of keywords relevant to product or service. Higher the bid, higher will be appearance in the search results. Pay only when a visitor clicks on listing and visit site. Since it is all the game of bidding, Choose key phrases which are not general to minimize the competition.